Carers UK is the leading national membership charity, supporting, advocating for and connecting unpaid carers across the UK.
There are over 6.5 million unpaid carers in the UK , however, we estimate this is now as high as 8.8 million .
Carers UK research Will I Care? identified that 64% of people will care, making caring as likely as having a mortgage .
Carers provide essential support every day to family members and friends, often invisible to others. As COVID-19 affects us all across our communities the role carers play is increasingly visible and impacting upon many more people.
When we are being asked to distance ourselves, to avoid travelling, when older people and the most vulnerable are being asked to stay indoors and thousands of people face uncertainty over work and how they will pay their bills, carers need our support more than ever. Many carers are anxious about who will care for their loved one should they become ill.
Carers UK aims to tackle this by making life better for carers, ensuring that no-one has to care alone:
- Providing information and support through our unique helpline services and help and advice on our website.
- Connecting carers through our online community and our team of volunteers who reach and identify hidden carers in their local communities
- Campaigning together for lasting change.
- Innovating to find new ways to reach and support carers. We created Jointly, a care coordination app which makes caring easier, less stressful and more organised
Since the COVID-19 outbreak in the UK, we have seen an increase in demand for our services. In the last week calls to our helpline have increased by 60%, we expect this to further increase in the coming weeks and months.
Carers describe our support as “a lifeline”. Our Helpline and online community are receiving a much greater volume of questions regarding how to keep vulnerable relatives safe if you live with them or when is it safe to visit an older relative who is lonely. We are also seeing huge anxiety about managing financially.
Advice and support for carers
As the situation with COVID-19 evolves, it’s important to know what support is available to you as a carer and those you look after:
- Carers UK has a page on its website, regularly updated with key information: www.carersuk.org/coronavirus
- As well as answers to some FAQs from carers: www.carersuk.org/coronavirus-further-support
- There is also a page on looking after your mental wellbeing: www.carersuk.org/coronavirus-mental-wellbeing
With your support, we can be there to support unpaid carers in this challenging time.
How to Suppawt Carers UK
You can make a donation to fund the amazing work they do here.
 Census, 2011
 ‘State of Caring: A snapshot of unpaid care in the UK’ 2019
 ‘Will I care report’ 2019