Dog Furiendly is supported by our tail-wagging readers. When you buy through affiliate links we may earn an affiliate commission. Click here to find out more.
Carrot cake, a sweet tasty cake that originated in Europe during the Middle Ages. It was created during a time where sugar and sweeteners were expensive, so many people used carrots as a substitute for sugar. But did you know you can create a carrot cake for your pooch? We all know that our pooches can’t even eat sugar and sweetener, so in a similar way we can substitute those sugars with tasty tasty carrots.
Please Note: We are not doggy nutritionists and every dog is an individual. What might be good for most might not be good for another. Always tailor each recipe to your own dog’s needs and tastes. If you have any questions about your dog’s diet, please contact your vet. If you notice your dog has any adverse reaction to any of the treats stop feeding immediately and contact your vet.
Recipe: Carrot Cake
– 200g grated carrots
– 3 eggs
– 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
– 300g rice flour
– 3 teaspoons of baking powder
There are so many options available for gluten-free flour. Options include Whole-wheat flour, Almond flour, Buckwheat flour and Coconut flour (to name a few).
Be as creative as you want with the toppings, after all, it’s the Showstopper! Ideas include:
Icing- Low Fat Cottage Cheese, Cream Cheese or Greek Yoghurt.
You can choose to use the icing alone, or mix it with honey, peanut butter, mashed banana.
Top it with some dog-safe fruits, sliced apples, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, pineapples.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees (Gas mark 3)
- Lightly grease a cake tin or line a tin with a liner
- In a large bowl combine the carrots and eggs until well mixed
- In a smaller bowl combine the flour and cinnamon
- Gradually pour and mix as you go the dry ingredients into the carrot mixture
- Mix well until a doughy consistency is formed
- Spoon into cake tin, bake for 25-30 minutes
- Once cooked place on wire rack to cool
- Once fully cooled spoon cottage cheese ontop for icing.