Baking for your pooch, not only saves you from eating your own cakes, but allows you to treat your furry friends to some new home-made treats. We have a WUNDERBAR treat for you and your pooch. This easy to make dog pretzel recipe will have your pooch drooling from ear to tail.
We are not doggy nutritionists and every dog is an individual. What might be good for most might not be good for another dog. Always tailor each recipe to your own dogs needs and tastes. If you have any questions about your dog’s diet, please contact your vet. If you notice your dog has any adverse reaction to any of the treats stop feeding immediately and contact your vet.
– 1 medium sweet potato (peeled and diced)
– 200g wholewheat flour
– 1 tablespoon flaxseed
– 1egg (lightly beaten)
1. Preheat oven to 180°c and line a tray with baking paper
2. Place the sweet potato in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
3. When the sweet potatoes are soft then remove from heat, drain and allow to cool
4. Puree the sweet potatoes by blending in a food processor until completely smooth
5. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and flaxseed
6. In a separate bowl lightly beat the egg and keep one tablespoon of egg aside for brushing
7. Add the rest of the egg and sweet potato puree to the dry ingredients and stir until a dough forms
8. Put the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
9. Shape pretzels by taking a small piece of dough, rolling it into a 10-inch rope, shape into a “U”, then twist the ends and fold them back over to create the pretzel shape
10. Place the pretzels on the prepared baking sheet and brush with the remaining 1 tablespoon beaten egg
11. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Then leave to cool in a wire rack
Tweaks include replacing whole wheat flour with a rice or almond flour.